Sunday 6 May 2012

Twitter Drinks You Need

Just a bit of fun... There was a piece on the Guardian website today entitled 'Twitter Feeds You Need' and, as it turns out, a load of celebrities follow a load of celebrities. So far, so not very interesting.

It did make me wonder, however, if there was a beer equivalent, who people would suggest to follow, and (which makes it slightly more personal than the usual #FF stuff)  why? I noticed a brewery on Twitter the other day (name escapes me) with something like 3000 followers having tweeted once - so I'm guessing the reason to follow them is probably their beer rather than the insightful comment they're providing. Strange thing is it probably popped up because of the 'X' 'Y' and 'Z' follow kind of thing, which isn't as good as a first hand recommendation. Anyway, feel free to share any, it's nice to be positive about things sometimes so give me some tips!

So here we go (3 isn't entirely arbitrary, I'm unashamedly nicking it from the 'paper):

Boak and Bailey @BoakandBailey
I think Twitter and beer is about the conversation, and B&B's blog/tweets reflects that. Get involved!
Jamie Carmichael @JLCarmichael
Jamie's from Williams Bros. and might not have popped up on the Twitter radar yet. Healthy irreverence.
Will Glass @ItalyBrews
I'm sure we all follow loads of perspectives on UK & US beer, have a read about Italy.

And of course all the beery folk I follow, because why wouldn't you? They're all great! (That's going to have to work as an apology for all of you not mentioned above, especially those who do all the re-tweeting and support of my random thoughts!)

17 comments:

  1. that's it, no more retweets for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I was trying to be creative, rather than recommend the Stephen Fry of beer Tweets? ;)

      Delete
  2. Nah ... Unfollow button time :D

    And certainly no retweets either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You try to be nice, bring a bit of comradeship into the bank holiday weekend and what do you get? You lot should be called into work tomorrow... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe heh ....

      Seriously, though. I find that I follow (particularly) breweries that rarely tweet. I wonder why I do?

      Answers on a (e)postcard please :D

      Delete
    2. I'm not even going to BEGIN trying to work out how your mind works. ;)

      Delete
  4. Wasn't aware of the Will Glass @ItalyBrews site and am off to Rome later in the year (had just posted same prior to your link to blog appearing) so that was handy. Cheers.
    In addition to following breweries that I love I make a particular point of following those local to me in Essex,East Anglia and in the London area. It makes sense to keep particular tabs on whats going on in my area as well as whats happening in the wider world beer. See who bloggers living near you are following.
    Hope I've understood your post correctly ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... I was just wondering who and why I suppose!

      Delete
  5. Cheers for the suggestions, sometimes I follow someone because they have lots of followers and yes they do disappoint - credit to those that can persistently post intelligent comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a big ask on Twitter (and I'll always settle for being entertaining) but most definitely!

      Delete
    2. entertaining too - that ticks the intelligent comment box in my opinion, it's the poorly thought out and blatant plugs (of brands) that devalues some peoples posts to me - not that I would say I rise above anyone in this respect :)

      Delete
  6. I guess everyone is too scared/not scummy enough to name their 3 top follows but I'm a scumbag so here's mine:

    @MelissaCole - Probably the 1st 'beer' person that I engaged with on Twitter. Unlike a lot of people with a load of followers she usually finds the time to reply and aside from knowing shed loads about beer she's also a good laugh and doesn't seem to take herself too seriously. And she once bought me a pint.

    @BoakandBailey- Great writers who, even when they're making 5000 blog posts a day, I always find interesting. And Bailey was kind enough to offer me some blogging advice.

    @nickiquote - Another great blog writer. He also has a whacked out leftfield sense of humour which I find ceaselessly amusing.

    I can't imagine anyone who has found their way here doesn't already follow the 3 of them but if you don't you should... but don't follow me cos I talk too much about weird shit music and occasionally drink McEwans's Export

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mark - fair play for sharing the love!

    Still open to suggestions. While there's no way I'd be able to narrow who I follow down to favourites (it's like beer!) it's interesting to hear some different reasons for 'follows.'

    I'm pretty sure a lot of people would prefer McEwan's Export to the music I listen to... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, shucks...

    We have become pretty aggressive about unfollowing businesses, aiming to stick at around following 550 people (for now). So far, that's meant picking one or two feeds from a given brewery rather than all eight (one for each brewer, one for each sub-brand and one for the company overall... grrr); and dumping any that tweet once a month to plug something without ever interacting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still don't really get on with twitter but then I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Am I meant to follow hundreds of people and dip in and out of the constant steam occasionally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed, broad question! Personally I used to use it (through Tweetdeck - the website's next to useless) more as a news feed for a load of stuff. Once I started blogging it became a great way of chatting to people and changed into more of a two way process - mainly through 'dipping in' I suppose.

      Delete
    2. Ed -- yes, that's roughly how we use it. If you follow too few people, you don't quite get connected enough to the 'buzz'.

      Delete